- 3/4 cupAll-Purpose Flour
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cupmilk
- 1 tablespoonUnsalted Butter, melted, plus 1 teaspoon for the pan
- 1/8 teaspoonSalt
- 1/2 teaspoonSugar
- 1/3 cupCold Water
- 2 tablespoonsCanola Oil
- Orange Butter
- 6 tablespoons(3/4 stick) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/4 cupSugar
- 1 tablespoonGrated Orange Rind
- 1 Orange, juiced (1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoonUnsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cupCognac
- FOR THE CREPES:
- Combine the Flour, Eggs, 1/4 cup of the Milk, the tablespoon of Melted Butter, Salt, and Sugar in a bowl and mix well with a whisk. (The mixture will be thick and smooth.) Add the remaining Milk, the Cold Water, and the Oil. Stir well.
- Heat a 6-inch Crepe pan or skillet, preferably nonstick, and Butter it lightly (for the first Crepe only) with the teaspoon of Butter. Pour about 3 tablespoons of the Batter into one side of the skillet and immediately tilt the skillet, shaking it at the same time, to make the Batter run all over the bottom. (The speed at which the Batter spreads determines the thickness of the Crepe; if you do not move the skillet fast enough, the Batter will set before it has a chance to spread, and the Crepe will be thicker than desired.) Cook over medium-high heat for about 1 minute, until browned. To flip, bang the skillet on a potholder on the corner of the stove to loosen the Crepe then flip it over. Alternatively, lift up an edge of the Crepe with your fingers or a fork, grab the Crepe between your thumb and forefinger and turn it over. Cook for about 30 seconds on the other side and transfer to a plate. Notice that the side of the Crepe that browned first has the nicer color; be sure to serve the Crepes so that this is the side that is visible. Repeat with the remaining Batter, stacking the Crepes (you should have 12 to 15 Crepes).
- FOR THE ORANGE BUTTER:
- Place the Butter, Sugar, Orange Zest and Juice in the same pan used to cook the Crepes. Cook over medium heat until the sauce begins to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Pour the Cognac into the Caramelized Sauce and carefully ignite with a long match. While the alcohol burns off, fold the Crepes into quarters, to create a fan shape. Dip into the Orange Butter sauce and serve.
GET THE LOOK